Thursday, October 02, 2008

Smart Girl


I have been wanting to post this for a while but I couldn't get my the pictures off of my other camera. Finally today I found the cord that would let me upload the pictures from my point and shoot camera. So here are the pictures from MacKenzies first day at SIGNET. SIGNET is the gifted program for the Prince William County school district. I can't remember off the top of my head what SIGNET stands for but when I find it I will post it. Once a week after I drop Kenzie off at her regular school a bus comes and picks her and a few other kids up and takes them to a school a few miles away. They spend the day there exploring education outside of the regular classroom. The day is broken up into a few different periods. Some of that time is spent doing Centers. Don't ask me what centers are yet. Kenzie has never been in a school that does them. But from what I can gather so far it is an independent learning packet that the kids work on at their own pace. The topics are extremely varied to cover all of the kids strong points. Right now they are all working on the first center together so that they can all learn what is expected of them. The center they are working on now is called "Treasure Seekers". It has to do with pirates. They are making circle maps, tree maps, and double bubble maps. Don't ask me what that is, that is what Kenzie said they are doing. But once they finish this center they will get to choose their own. Kenzie has decided that she is going to choose the center that is French. She is excited to learn yet another language. When they are not working on their centers they do group work where they are given topics that they have to discuss and come up with a group answer to present to the class. Right now they are doing a project where they are making up their own business. They are naming it, choosing its location, what the product is and they work with their group to market the product. When they are done they will present it to the class and the class will vote on the businesses success. The SIGNET class really works on getting the kids to think outside the box and use their brains in creative ways. MacKenzie really loves it. Not only does she get to do really cool and creative things there but she gets to ride the school bus.

1 comment:

LeroyLime said...

awww...she looks so GROWN up!!! nice pack!